Thursday, October 15, 2009

Overcoming Depression, Part 1

Hello everyone... I've been gone for a bit between teaching and extensive traveling over the last two months.

I've also had some very low moments where any blog post would have been simply my cry for attention and external affirmation. The change in my family status really hit me hard, and I haven't been this depressed since college, many years ago.

I discovered a few neat "coping" techniques and I thought I'd share them with you over the next few weeks. I don't know of any specific place where I learned of these, but I"m sure I didn't come up with the ideas on my own. They may have come from the Spirit, or perhaps from things I read/learned/overheard but took so long to process that I forgot where the ideas originated.

The first tip is this:

Tell yourself you are happy.

The next time you feel down in the dumps, try remembering something that you have every right to feel good about, and then tell yourself over and over how happy you are about that one thing (even if everything else is going wrong).

If you don't have something that you feel good about, then maybe you can create such a memory by volunteering, accomplishing a task on your "gonna do one day" list, or tackling a concrete project around the house.

Sounds simplistic, but let me illustrate with a real life example:

I received some very good news a couple weeks ago. But, now facing the world as a single mom, I had been quite down in the dumps about my change in marital status. But this very good news should have set me on cloud nine because it is something I had worked 12 years for. I couldn't understand why I wasn't happy. XYZ worked out, and now your life will be immensely better. I should have been celebrating, dancing in the streets. Then I decided to tell myself, "I AM happy. I AM so thankful to God that this worked out, and so HAPPY that I won't have to suffer like I expected to." Every time I had a few moments to myself to dwell on things, I kept telling myself over and over: "This is good news! I am SO happy about it! I am not in a 'happy mood' right now, but I'm going to choose to celebrate this good news and be happy about it. Things are falling into place as best as they possibly can, and I'm not going to mope about it. No, I'm going to be happy!"

Without realizing it, I talked myself into a good mood because the next day I was back to my old self, and a few days after that people began to comment about how happy I'd been.

Affirmations really work. Try it and let me know how it works out for you.

1 comment:

A better future for all said...

Hello Saved Aspie

I'm going to try your advice here if you do not mind. I do have an excellent mathematical ability. I am very happy I do have that.

http://cubedemon.blogspot.com/search?q=math Check out some of my work.

SavedAspie you're right. You should trust those to be who they are. I should be so distrustful that it negates out and I trust them to be who they are.

I am a pessimist and I'm negative but I take it a step further. Even pessimism and negativity does nothing and does not work. It does not get anyone to feel sorry for you. It only pushes people away. I say I'm gonna be pessimistic against pessismism and negative against negativity.

As you see this is another thing I'm good at is philosophy.

I just became a christain myself. I became saved months ago. God and Jesus revealed this to me. http://cubedemon.blogspot.com/2009/08/bibilical-contradictions.html

I ask if these churches are rejecting anyone then are they truly Christ-Like and Godly? I say no. Look at this verse. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%202&version=KJV